Hey guys, welcome back to the blog.
Today, I will be speaking on the need for us to be as actively involved in sustainable development as we possibly can. Imagine living in a place where the air just feels crisp and clean or where going out and getting caught out in the rain doesn’t mean you have to swim back home in toxic waste products spewing from the overfilled gutters (I know that’s graphic, forgive me but I had to). We can have all these and more if we just put in a liittllee more effort in taking care of the environment. I may sound like an environmental hippie but TRUST ME, this is important, especially considering the fact that the Nigerian Government are not clearly doing a lot in that regard.
Now, most of you (hopefully) know about sustainable development or may have heard it in passing and not know what its about, others may not have heard about it at all, so I’ll just give a BRIEF, don’t be scared, background about it so everyone will be up to speed.
According to something I got off the internet (which is TRUE), Sustainable Development is development which meets the needs of the present without compromising the need of the future generation to meet their own needs. In September 2015, the United Nations General Assembly adopted a set of 17 goals popularly known as the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in which all countries are to fully implement before 2030 ,side note, if the current leadership trend of Nigeria continues till then, well, Good luck Nigeria (If you ever watched Good luck Charlie, you would totally get this). These goals include:
- No poverty;
- Zero hunger;
- Good health and well being;
- Quality education;
- Gender equality;
- Clean water and Sanitation;
- Affordable and clean energy;
- Decent work and economic growth;
- Industry, innovation and infrastructure;
- Reduced inequalities;
- Sustainable cities and communities;
- Responsible consumption and production;
- Climate action;
- life below water;
- life on land;
- Peace and justice strong institutions;
- Partnership for the goals.
You may personally be invested in the other goals but for the purpose of this post, we are focusing on Goal 11.
So these are a few things you can do to make your community sustainable:
- DO NOT throw plastic on the streets, I mean dang people, If you just had a drink outside and its empty, either you throw the empty bottle in a bin near you or if you don’t find one immediately, hold it till you get home and throw it in your bin, For the love of all that is pure and Holy, do not throw it in the gutters.
- Turn off taps and ensure they don’t leak.
- Recycle your clothes. Donate them or use their fabric to make something else. The more you use, the less everyone needs to produce.
- Avoid long showers. I know it feels good… so good… but you gotta consider.
- Turn off the lights when they are not needed.
- Always be nice and show love to your neighbors.
This is all I have for now but there are still SO MANY other things that you can do to ensure we live in a sustainable community, google is ya friend.